Coconut Cream Panna Cotta with Lime Gelée
Fashion faux fish, wasabi and rice from grapefruit, lime gelée and panna cotta for playfully cool summertime refreshments. Use flat-bottomed 2″ circular moulds and a high-sided baking dish to create sweet ‘nigiri’ and ‘maki’ pieces. There is also an option to fill moulds with panna cotta only.
By Erin Bend
2 tsp unflavoured gelatin
5 Tbsp cold water
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 tsp lime zest
2 1/4 oz envelopes gelatin
2 1/3 cups full fat coconut milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup cream (18% M.F.)
1 cup superfine sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 pink grapefruits (plus back ups)
1 mango, cut for garnish
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
1 8 oz box Mike and Ike candies
1/2 cup sweetened, flaked coconut
1 pkg soy wrappers (available at Lucky Supermarket, pg 43)
1. Set round and square moulds in freezer.
2. In a bowl, soften gelatin over 3 Tbsp cold water. Fill ice bath.
3. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine 2 Tbsp water and sugar. Simmer until sugar dissolves, remove from heat.
4. Stir in gelatin. Whisk in lime juice and zest.
5. Cool in ice bath. Keep stirring. When gelée starts to set pour 1/4″ depth into moulds. Refrigerate.
1. In a small bowl, soften gelatin over 1/3 cup coconut milk.
2. In a saucepan, slowly bring remaining ingredients to a boil. Remove from heat.
3. Add softened gelatin to panna cotta, whisk until dissolved. Set in freezer for 30 mins to thicken.
4. Whisk until smooth.
5. Pour into chilled moulds evenly atop set lime gelée. Refrigerate for minimum 4 hrs before slicing and serving.
6. To remove, use dry fingers to gently separate panna cotta from side of mould. Submerge bottom half of moulds in warm water for 10 secs, invert on chilled plate, shake vigorously side to side to release.
1. Peel grapefruits. Use a serrated knife to cut the fruit into “salmon” pieces.
2. To create “roe” cut each candy into 3 pieces and colour code into cups. Cover with boiling water, stir and drain. Dry with paper towel.
3. Use garnishes to create your own ‘maki’ and ‘nigiri’.
Yield 10 servings