Chef Cho Venevongsa,
Wasabi on Broadway
Earthy prairie beets get a creamy fresh twist in these handheld cones. Visit Lucky Supermarket (pg 50) for soy sheets, pickled ginger and sweet seaweed sprinkles.
5 cups short grain rice
5 cups water
1/2 cup rice vinegar
5 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp salt
1″ square of kelp
4 soy sheets, cut in thirds
3/4 cup cream cheese
1/2 cup micro arugula
1/2 cup pickled beets, julienne
12 shiso or mint leaves
2 Tbsp pickled ginger
2 Tbsp sweet seaweed powder
1. Rinse rice until water runs clear. Set aside in a colander for 30 mins to let rice grain expand.
2. Add rice and water to rice cooker. Cook. Allow to sit for 15 mins more before opening lid.
3. In a small saucepan over high heat, combine remaining ingredients for 2 mins. Reduce heat, stir until dissolved. Set aside to cool and remove kelp.
4. In a large bowl, use a wooden spoon to spread cooked rice up the sides. Slowly add vinegar dressing to rice and toss. Use a fan to cool rice until warm to the touch, cover with a damp cloth and set aside. Reserve 1 cup rice for Jets Roll.
1. Spread 2 Tbsp of sushi rice evenly on soy sheet.
2. Add 1 Tbsp cream cheese, a few arugula strands, 3 beet sticks, 1 shiso leaf (or half mint leaf) and 1/2 tsp of pickled ginger in the centre. Sprinkle with seaweed.
3. Begin at one end and roll diagonally into a cone shape.
4. Repeat with remaining sheets.
Yield 12 cones