Chef/Owner Stéphane Wild,
Aladdin’s Pizza Chez Sophie
Trappiste cheese is an ivory-yellow, cow’s milk cheese made by monks. Oka is one popular version. Pungent flavour of the cheese carries through from beginning to end.
10 cups potatoes, sliced
300g side bacon, chopped
2 cups onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
24 thin slices ham
900g Trappist cheese, approx 7 1/2 cups
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large frying pan, cook potatoes on medium heat with oil, salt and pepper until lightly brown.
2. Add bacon and onions. Cook until potatoes are tender, 10-12 min.
3. In six individual oval dishes, place half the potatoes in each dish.
4. Top with half of the cheese.
3. Layer with remaining potatoes.
5. Lay ham over potatoes and cheese.
6. Drizzle cream over ham.
7. Top with remaining cheese.
8. Bake until cheese is nicely browned, approx 15-20 min.
9. Garnish with parsley.
Yield 6 servings