Owner Katy Louridas,
The rose petal preserve can be bought at the Greek Market.
1 cup butter
1 cup flour
2 1/2 cups milk, warmed
10 oz (280 g) feta cheese, crumbled
1 tsp nutmeg
Cracked black pepper, to taste
1 lb (450 g) phyllo pastry
1 cup rose petal preserve
1. In a pot on medium heat, melt half of the butter. Stir in flour and mix well with spatula for about 5 minutes.
2. Stirring to avoid lumping, add warmed milk.
3. Remove from heat. Add feta, nutmeg, eggs, pepper. Allow to cool.
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. Melt remaining butter. Cut phyllo into long strips about 2 inches wide. Take two strips together and brush over the surface with melted butter. Place one strip on top of the other.
3. Place 1 tsp of cheese mixture and 1/2 tsp of rose petal preserve at one end of the strip. Fold the end of the strip diagonally over the cheese mixture, making a triangle. Fold triangle upwards and over diagonally and repeat until entire strip is reduced to a triangle.
4. On a pan, bake for 15-20 minutes until phyllo is golden brown. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Yield 30-35 phyllo triangles