Baker/Owner Tom Janzen,
Bread & Circuses Bakery
The addition of vanilla bean seeds turns a traditional recipe into something extraordinary. The sandy, buttery crunch is accented with subtle hits of mellow vanilla.
1 cup butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 vanilla bean
2 cups flour
3/4 cup icing sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
white and dark chocolate chips
1. Heat oven to 350˚F.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter with a hand mixer on high speed until light and fluffy. Slowly beat in granulated sugar.
3. Cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds with the tip of a knife and add to butter mixture.
4. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, icing sugar, cornstarch and salt.
5. Add dry ingredients to butter in three additions.
6. Form into logs (approx 1 1/2″ rounds). Wrap and chill in freezer for 1 hour.
7. Cut logs into slices and bake for 15-18 min until very lightly browned.
8. Cool and decorate with garnishes.
Yield 4 dozen cookies