Chef Stéphane Wild,
Bistro Chez Sophie
Melt-in-your-mouth veal is made richer by a homey, well-spiced cream sauce and punctuated by flavourful bites of bacon and earthy mushrooms.
12 milk-fed veal cutlets
2/3 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups sliced white onion
1 1/2 cups sliced white mushrooms
1/2 cup smoked bacon cut into 1/2″ cubes
1/2 cup Sauvignon Blanc
2 cups 35% cream
2 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large, deep non-stick frying pan, heat two Tbsp of oil over medium heat. Add onions, mushrooms and bacon. Sauté until golden brown.
2. Add wine. Cook for 2-3 mins, allowing the alcohol to evaporate. Add cream. Add garlic powder and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Simmer for 5-8 mins until sauce thickens. Keep warm.
4. Heat a second non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Drizzle with 2 Tbsp of canola oil. Place two cutlets into pan and cook on each side 2-3 mins. Season each side with salt and pepper.
5. Transfer cutlets to cream sauce. Cook for an additional 5 mins at medium-low heat. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until all cutlets are cooked.
6. Serve topped with extra sauce.
Yield 6 servings