Chef Ray Miller,
York The Hotel
During one of his urban foraging trips, Chef Ray discovered the Winkler-made fresh corn tortillas by SunnyDay Products. These tortillas provide a much more rustic and intense flavour than flour tortillas.
2 red peppers
454g spinach, steamed
1 540 ml can chickpeas, drained
2 Tbsp tahini paste
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
6 small (6″) corn tortillas
1. Preheat barbeque to high.
2. Slice peppers in half and grill until charred, approx 10 min. Let cool.
3. In a food processor, purée peppers, chickpeas, olive oil and tahini paste until smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
4. Purée spinach and cilantro until smooth. Add to chickpea mixture and blend until incorporated.
5. Refrigerate for 15 min until set.
6. On high heat, grill the tortillas on barbeque for 1 min per side.
A burst of fresh spinach is followed by a rich, roasted red pepper note. The chickpeas offer a velvety, earthy base while the soft tortillas add fresh corn accents. A hint of cilantro gives brightness at the finish.
Yield 4 servings