Walnut Apricot Stuffed Roast Chicken
Chef Paul Vocadlo,
Our cover depicts a whole roasted chicken, in the restaurant kylling portions are a healthy half bird as
this recipe instructs.
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onions
1 tsp dried basil
3/4 tsp paprika
1 cup dried apricots, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp water
4 cups fine fresh bread crumbs
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 eggs, beaten
4 chickens (5-6 lb each)
1. In a large skillet over medium heat melt half of butter. Add celery and onion, cook for 5 mins.
2. Stir in 1/2 tsp basil, 1/4 tsp paprika, apricots and water. Cover, cook for 3-5 mins until apricots are plump.
3. Transfer to large bowl mix in bread crumbs, walnuts, salt, pepper and eggs.
4. Cut through backbones and breastbones to divide chickens in half, trim any fat and excess skin.
5. Preheat oven to 375°F. Evenly spread 8 3/4 cup mounds of stuffing on a greased rimmed baking sheet, cover with chicken halves (cut side down).
6. Melt remaining butter, brush over chicken. Combine remaining basil, paprika and a pinch of salt and pepper, sprinkle over chicken.
7. Bake for 40-45 mins until golden brown and juices run clear when pierced.
Yield 8 servings