Cool, icy refreshment with sweetness of balsamic heightening the fresh watermelon flavour. This cool summer fruit is uniquely similar in consistency to a snow cone, especially when served cold. Aged balsamic vinegar lends sophistication for an adult-friendly treat.
1/2 seedless watermelon, cooled
12 drops aged balsamic vinegar (the older the better)
1. In 8˝ metal springform pan spread half the berries.
2. Soak gelatin in cold water
3. In metal bowl mix vanilla seeds and sugar into egg yolks. Whisk over pot of simmering water to make a sabayon.
4. Squeeze water out of gelatin, then add to sabayon while it is still warm. 5. Whisk egg whites until stiff, and fold them into the sabayon.
6. Melt chocolate. Add to mixture.
7. Whip cream and fold into mixture. Pour in pan over berries. Chill until firm.
8. Remove from pan by slightly warming edges. Top with berries.
Yield 4 servings