Chef Michael Day,
Sweet and tangy balsamic reduction dances with the fresh, crisp and subtle
notes of watermelon and cucumber.
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1 small head butter lettuce
1 large English cucumber, sliced 1/8″ thick using mandolin
1 cup feta, crumbled
6 cups watermelon, cubed
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup unsalted cashews
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
black pepper, freshly cracked
Balsamic Vinegar Reduction
1. In a large pan on medium heat, bring balsamic vinegar to a boil.
2. Reduce vinegar for 20 mins or until it becomes syrupy.
3. Remove from heat and cool.
1. Layer 4 lettuce leaves on centre of plate.
2. Place a 2″ diameter ring mould on lettuce bed and line with 2-3 cucumber slices, overlapping edges.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, combine feta and watermelon.
4. Spoon watermelon mixture into cucumber cup and top with red onion and 1 Tbsp cashews.
5. Gently remove ring mould.
6. Drizzle salad with balsamic vinegar reduction and olive oil.
7. Finish with black pepper.
8. Repeat steps 1-6 on remaining 3 plates.
Yield 4 servings