Chef Kristen Chemerika-Lew
Contrasting textures and temperatures make this an exciting last course.
1/2 cup white sugar
5 large egg yolks
2 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 cup 3% milk
1 1/2 cup 35% cream
16 oz white chocolate, chopped
1 Tbsp non-GMO miso paste
6 oz white chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup 35% cream
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
Green Tea Sorbet
1½ cups sugar
1 cup water
3 Tbsp green tea (we use Darjeeling)
1. Whisk the sugar, egg yolks, and salt in a medium-sized stainless steel bowl. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan, bring milk and cream to a simmer. Slowly whisk cream into yolk mixture.
3. Return mixture to saucepan and reduce heat to low. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
4. Place chocolate in a large metal bowl and pour in cream mixture. Stir to combine. Strain through a fine mesh sieve and portion into 8 unlined silicone muffin cups. Freeze until solid.
5. Once frozen, remove the cremeux from the cups. Place onto parchment squares and chill until ready to serve.
1. Mix miso paste and chocolate in a heat safe bowl. Set aside.
2. Bring cream to a boil and pour over the chocolate/miso mixture. Stir to combine.
1. Line an 8×8″ pan with greased parchment paper.
2. Place sugar into a heavy bottom pot and moisten with the water. Turn heat to high and swirl the pot to help the water dissolve the sugar. Do not stir!
3. Allow the sugar to caramelize to an amber colour (around 240°F on a candy thermometer).
4. Add the baking soda and stir vigorously for 30 seconds. Stir in sesame seeds and pour into prepared pan. Allow to cool for at least on hour, then smash into bite-sized pieces.
Green Tea Sorbet
1. Place everything into a medium sized, heavy-bottomed pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat and allow the tea to steep for 10 minutes.
2. Strain into a bowl using a fine mesh sieve. Churn in an ice cream maker until frozen. Store in freezer until ready to use.
Place white chocolate cremeux on a plate and sprinkle with sesame brittle. Serve with miso ganache and green tea sorbet.
Yield 8 servings