Chef Lorna Murdoch,
Chef Lorna serves this dessert in single servings, however this recipe is for a whole cake. Raspberries are used, but try it with your favourite berries. An unexpectedly rich chocolate flavour from this white dessert strikes a dramatic first chord. It subsides slowly, as the berries ride the wave with a sweet, juicy flourish.
2 cups fresh raspberries
3 gelatin leaves
1 fresh vanilla bean, split and seeded
2/3 cup sugar
6 egg yolks
2 egg whites
1 1/4 cups white chocolate, chopped
1 3/4 cups 35% whipping cream
1. In 8˝ metal springform pan spread half the berries.
2. Soak gelatin in cold water
3. In metal bowl mix vanilla seeds and sugar into egg yolks. Whisk over pot of simmering water to make a sabayon.
4. Squeeze water out of gelatin, then add to sabayon while it is still warm. 5. Whisk egg whites until stiff, and fold them into the sabayon.
6. Melt chocolate. Add to mixture.
7. Whip cream and fold into mixture. Pour in pan over berries. Chill until firm.
8. Remove from pan by slightly warming edges. Top with berries.
Yield 8 servings