Chef Robert Duehmig,
The Chocolate Shop
This upscale shore lunch is given a taste of Hudson’s Bay circa the fur trade era, with the sweet and sour accents of traditional English Cumberland sauce.
2 x 4 oz Arctic char fillets
3 Tbsp virgin olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup red grapes, halved
1/8 tsp white pepper
Handful chives, chopped
1 tsp port wine
4 Tbsp red currant jelly
1/2 Tbsp orange rind zest
1 tsp cornstarch to thicken
1. Slowly heat the wine and jelly in saucepot.
2. Add orange rind and thicken with cornstarch.
3. Keep warm until needed.
1. Pour oil into sauté pan. When oil is hot, gently place the fillets skin side down in the pan. Reduce the heat and add pepper.
2. Remove fillets from the pan when they are almost done. Cover and keep warm.
3. Gently increase the heat of the pan. Add grapes. Sauté until glazed. Add lemon juice. Deglaze pan by scraping it.
4. Gently place fillets back into pan and warm up.
1. Spoon Cumberland sauce onto plate. Place fillet on top. Garnish with grape demi-glaze and top with chives.
Yield 2 servings