Pulla is a traditional Finnish cardamom bread that is light, sweet and best served straight from the oven.
3 1/2 tsp yeast
1 1/8 cup white sugar
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 Tbsp cardamon
2 eggs, beaten
15 1/8 cups all purpose flour
3 3/4 cups salted butter (melted)
3 3/4 cups warm milk
2 Tbsp whipping cream
1 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup sugar
1. Add dry ingredients to mixing bowl, mix for 2 minutes.
2. Add wet ingredients, mix until smooth. Let rest for another 15 minutes.
3. Divide into nine balls of equal size. Let rest for 20 minutes.
4. Roll balls into 15” sticks and braid them in groups of three. Cover and let rest for 1 hour.
1. In small bowl, mix 2 eggs with 2 Tbsp whisked whipped cream for egg wash.
1. Brush top of loaf with egg wash, top with sliced almonds and sprinkle with sugar.
2. Bake at 375°F for 18 minutes, rotate, then bake another 18 minutes.
Yield 4 large loaves