Motto: “Keep it fresh!”
Quin is the Chef de Cuisine and seasoned pro who makes it his mission to source local produce while adding his own eclectic mix to multi-culti favourites. Creative standouts like pork belly with spicy kimchi, sweet hoisin and pickled cucumber play with flavour and texture and have become fan favourites.
Mild ‘n fatty northern lake fish takes a seriously sexy turn topped with Manitoba’s own caviar. Bold flavoured baba ganoush and smart spicing round out every bite.
10 oz Arctic char
1 1/4 cup Kosher salt
1 cup sugar
1 sheet of kombu seaweed
Zest of 1 lemon
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp of paprika
Pinch of cayenne
3/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1/4 lemon, juiced
Salt to taste
2 cups of canola oil
2 Tbsp chilli oil
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 lemon for juice
Salt to taste
Fresh dill sprigs
1 Tbsp Whitefish roe (Gimli Fish Market)
1. In small bowl, mix salt, sugar and lemon zest.
2. Generously coat Arctic char with mixture.
3. Gently wet kombu seaweed to make pliable. Wrap around Arctic char and refrigerate for approximately 2 hours.
4. Remove kombu seaweed and gently rinse salt off with cold water. Pat dry and thinly slice.
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
2. Peel and slice eggplant into mixing bowl. Drizzle 1/2 cup olive oil over eggplant, reserving 1/4 cup of oil.
2. Lay eggplant lengthwise on a baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
3. In food processor, mix cooked eggplant with remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth and add salt to taste.
1. In a small bowl, separate 2 egg yolks (discard whites).
2. Add Dijon. Whisk for 30 seconds.
3. Continuing to whisk, slowly add canola oil. If too thick, slowly add a drop of water.
4. Add chilli oil, lemon juice and salt.
Arctic Char Assembly
1. Toast pita or grill for added charred flavour.
2. Spread generous layer of baba ganoush over the pita.
3. Layer sliced char on pita. Dot spicy mayo over dish.
4. Garnish with fresh dill and Whitefish roe.
Yield 2 servings