Owner/Chef Tomas Sohlberg & Anneen DuPlessis
The classic chili cheese dog gets lightened up with chunky chili, a whole wheat wrap, and a sprinkling of green.
1 Tbsp oil
3 1/2 cups sliced onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped celery
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chile flakes
1 tsp salt
1 cup dried lentils
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup roasted red peppers
2 cups diced tomatoes (with juice)
2 1/2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 cups red kidney beans (with juice)
2 cups black beans (with juice)
2 1/2 Tbsp salsa
1 1/2 Tbsp barbeque sauce
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp lime juice
1 vegan hot dog
1 wholewheat wrap
vegan cheese substitute
1. In a large pot, cook oil, onions, garlic, celery, cumin, chile flakes, salt, lentils, and water for 15-20 minutes. If the mixture is too dry or is starting to burn, deglaze the pot with 1/2 cup of water.
2. Add red peppers, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, kidney and black beans, salsa, and barbeque sauce. Simmer over low heat for 20-30 minutes. Deglaze the pot with an additional 1/2 cup water if the mixture becomes too dry.
3. Finish with cilantro and lime juice. Store excess chili in a sealed container in the fridge.
1. Heat the hot dog, drizzled with oil, on the barbeque, flipping to cook both sides.
2. Spread mayo and ketchup on a whole wheat wrap. Place hot dog in wrap and top with chili, a sprinkle of vegan cheese and green onion.
3. Roll up the wrap and enjoy.
Yield 1 chili dog