1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 cup + 1 tsp almond flour
1 tsp vanilla bean
4 egg whites (aged for 3 days)
2 tbsp water
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup bitter chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup butter
1. Sift together confectioners sugar and almond flour. Add 2 egg whites and vanilla bean.
2. Pour remaining 2 egg whites in a separate mixing bowl.
3. In a sauce pan, boil water and sugar. When syrup reaches 239°F, begin mixing egg whites on high speed, until firm peaks form.
4. When syrup reaches 244°F remove from heat and reduce egg white speed. Pour syrup into egg whites. Whip until cool.
5. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Fit piping bag with 1/2″ round tip.
6. Fold cooled meringue one third at a time into almond mixture. Mix until it loses volume.
7. Transfer into piping bag. Pipe onto baking sheet into 1 1/2” smooth disks. Tap sheet on table to smooth out disks.
8. Set aside for 30 minutes at room temperature. Bake for 12 minutes at 300°F.
1. Melt chocolate in microwave.
2. In a saucepan on high, bring cream to a boil and pour in thirds into melted chocolate.
3. Add butter in small pieces. Stir until smooth. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
Yield 72 macarons