Chef Quentin Harty
RBC Convention Centre
Using shrimp stock puts a flavourful twist on this fall classic.
1/2 cup salted butter, clarified
1 medium sized onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, ground
1 cup cubed butternut squash
1 cup flour
3 1/4 cups shrimp stock
1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, ground
zest from 1/4 orange
salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups heavy cream (35%)
2 small bay leaves
6 cheese crostini
1 Tbsp chives, chopped
2 Tbsp crispy onions (optional)
1. In a sauce pot over medium heat, add butter, onions, garlic and butternut squash. Sauté until tender.
2. Reduce the temperature to low and add flour, mixing thoroughly to blend.
3. Increase the temperature to medium high and slowly add the cold shrimp stock while continuously whisking, until smooth. Bring soup to a rolling boil and cook for 3-5 minutes while constantly whisking.
4. Reduce the temperature to medium and add the ginger, orange zest, cinnamon, cumin, salt and pepper. Simmer for 1 hour.
5. Reduce the temperature to low and slowly add the cream while whisking constantly to prevent curdling. Increase the temperature to medium high and return to boil for 1 minute.
6. Reduce the temperature to low, add the bay leaves and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove bay leaves.
7. Remove soup from the burner and carefully purée with an immersion blender.
8. Adjust seasoning and serve immediately. Garnish with chives, a crostini and crispy onions.
Yield 6 servings