Chef Barbara O’Hara,
Dessert Sinsations Cafe
This burger trio is a three-course meal all by itself—appetizer, entrée and dessert—all in the form of a burger. The veggie burger is straight off the Dessert Sinsations Cafe menu and is hugely popular. The mini-viet explodes with an Asian flair of peanut and soya. The dessert burger is a sweet surprise with its cookie kaiser and chocolate patty.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup well-shaken buttermilk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup unsalted softened butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1/8 cup of water
pinch of sesame seeds
1 1/2 cups dark Callebaut chocolate couverature
1 1/4 cup butter
1 cup whipping cream
13 egg yolks
6 oz Grand Marnier
Lettuce, Cheese and Mayo
8 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
18 strawberries, sliced
2 granny smith apples, sliced and brushed with lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. In a small bowl, combine an egg and 1/8 cup of water. Set aside for egg wash.
3. In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking soda.
4. In a cup, stir together buttermilk and vanilla.
5. In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
6. Add remaining eggs and beat until combined well. Mix in flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately at low speed, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix until smooth.
7. Spoon out 1/4 cup of batter and split into two equal parts on a large, buttered baking sheet.
8. Brush the “top bun” with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
9. Bake for 12-15 mins.
1. In a double boiler, melt chocolate.
2. In a separate pot, bring cream to a simmer. Add yolks, stirring constantly.
3. Cook until mixture coats spoon. Add butter, melted chocolate and Grand Marnier. Stir well.
4. Pour mixture into a lined pan. Refrigerate over night. Cut patties using a 2″ cookie cutter. Hand form to resemble burger patties.
Lettuce, Cheese and Mayo
1. In a double boiler, blend egg yolks, milk and sugar. Cook over hot (not boiling) water. Stir constantly.
2. When mixture thickens to coat back of a spoon, pour into a bowl. Refrigerate immediately.
3. Divide mixture into three equal portions. Add green food colouring to one bowl (lettuce), yellow food colouring to another (cheese) and leave one bowl cream-coloured (mayo). Fill three pastry bags, each with one colour of mixture. Use different tips for each bag.
1. Place all “bottom buns” on serving plate.
2. Pipe “lettuce” on to buns.
3. Place chocolate patties over lettuce.
4. Pipe “cheese” on top of patties.
5. Place one slice of green apple over cheese.
6. Arrange slices of one full strawberry on top of cheese.
7. Top with “top bun” cookie kaiser.
Yield 18 mini burgers