A dash of sea salt heightens the buttery, burnt sugar flavours of caramel. Serve these petite packages as an after-dinner treat or stuff them in your sweetie’s stocking.
1 cup heavy cream
5 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp fleur de sel (or sea salt)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1. Line bottom and sides of an 8″ square baking pan with parchment paper and lightly oil.
2. In a small sauce pan over medium-high heat, bring cream, butter and fleur de sel to a boil. Remove from heat.
3. In a medium sauce pan over high heat, bring sugar, corn syrup and water to a boil, stirring with a wooden spoon until sugar is dissolved.
4. Insert candy thermometer in sugar mix and boil, gently swirling pan until mixture is a light, caramel colour or about 3 mins.
5. Using a wooden spoon, slowly stir in cream mixture and simmer. Stir frequently until caramel hits 248°F.
6. Pour mixture into baking pan and set on cooling rack. Let stand for 2 hrs.
7. Invert caramel slab on cutting board and remove parchment. Cut into 1″ squares.
Yield 16 servings