The VG Restaurant – Chef Daniel Davyduke
Wildflower honey adds subtle floral notes to these cookies.
7 egg yolks
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp Manitoba liquid honey
4 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a mixing bowl, whip together egg yolks, 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar and honey to ribbon stage.
2. In a separate bowl, whip together egg whites and 1/2 cup sugar to soft peak stage.
3. In a third bowl, combine salt, baking powder and flour.
4. Alternate folding dry ingredients and egg yolk mixture into egg whites, then fold in melted butter and vanilla.
5. Pipe mixture into madeleine molds.
6. Bake for 10 mins at 325°F. If using fan-assisted oven, use low fan setting.
Yield 40 cookies
Honey Chocolate Truffles
A dusting of cocoa makes the chocolate within even sweeter.
1 cup bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup Manitoba liquid honey
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
25 chocolate sphere molds
1. In a large heat-safe bowl, place the bittersweet chocolate.
2. In a small saucepan, heat heavy cream and honey over medium heat until it starts to boil.
3. Pour cream over the chocolate. Whisk to combine. Don’t whisk too quickly or air bubbles will form.
4. Once chocolate is melted, whisk in butter. Ganache should appear smooth and shiny.
5. Pour ganache into chocolate shells. Toss truffles in cocoa powder and freeze until ready to serve.
Yield 25 truffles