Whipped white cheddar with apple gastrique turns a brick of cheese on its ear. Each velvety dollop is easily scooped onto grilled ciabatta or garden fresh crudités.
1/2 lb unsalted butter
5 cups aged white cheddar
1 Tbsp of prepared Dijon mustard
1 tsp of salt
Pinch of cayenne
1 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
Pinch of salt
1. In a small skillet, cube and warm butter to room temperature to soften.
2. Add butter and mustard to food processor and run until smooth.
3. Slowly add cheese in 1/4 increments until mixture has a smooth consistency.
4. Add salt and cayenne to mixture.
Pro Tip: Avoid running the processor for too long as too much friction and warmth can cause cheese mixture to separate.
1. In small skillet on medium heat, caramelize white sugar until it appears a golden brown.
2. Add apple cider vinegar and salt.
3. Reduce until it develops a light syrupy consistency which will thicken once cooled.
Yield 1 large serving