Baker/owner Andreas Ingenfeld,
The Crusty Bun
The taut, smooth and salt-studded exterior of these German pretzels gives satisfying chew before yielding to a soft, doughy centre.
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp malt flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup cold water
3 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 Tbsp fresh yeast
salt water (12 cups water: 2/3 cup salt)
coarse sea salt to garnish
1. Combine flours, salt, water, butter and yeast. Mix well.
2. Cut dough into 1/3 cup portions. Roll each piece into a long rope.
3. To shape into pretzels take right side and cross over to left. Cross right to left again and flip up.
4. Let rise in fridge for minimum 24 hrs.
5. Preheat oven to 450°F.
6. Dip in salt water, place of baking sheet.
7. Use a knife to slash each pretzel. Sprinkle with salt.
8. Bake for 15-18 min.
Yield 10 Pretzels