Salted Chocolate Pretzel
For an even deeper salty-sweet contrast, drizzle melted chocolate over the pretzels once they’ve cooled.
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp instant yeast
1 1/2 cup – 2 cups lukewarm water
sea salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF. In a food processor equipped with a dough hook, combine flour,
cocoa powder, salt and sugar.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cup lukewarm water and yeast. Pour in the mixer bowl with the flour.
3. Mix at low-medium speed until all ingredients are combined. If dough is too dry, add up to an additional 1/2 cup of water. The end result should be a smooth, tacky (not sticky), shiny dough.
4. Transfer dough on a clean surface and divide into 8 pieces. Cover the dough with a plastic film and let the pieces of dough rest for 10-15 minutes for the gluten in the dough to relax.
5. Take each ball of dough, and one at a time, roll out to a 40 cm rope. Twist in the shape of a pretzel or have fun by shaping them. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
6. Repeat with the rest of the dough. When all pretzels are shaped, sprinkle sea salt on top.
7. Place baking tray in oven for 12-14 minutes. As soon as you take the pretzels out of the oven, brush them with melted butter for added richness and flavour.
Yield 8 big pretzels