Chef Norman Pastorin,
The Grove Pub & Restaurant
Golden croquettes impart crunch while smooth chèvre and pequillo pepper
create satisfying, smooth contrast in each bite.
1/8 cup butter
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup milk
1/4 cup chèvre
1/8 cup chopped pequillo peppers
salt and pepper to taste
6 eggs, beaten
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
canola oil for frying
1. In a small saucepan over med heat, melt butter and add 1/2 cup flour, combining to make a roux.
2. Gradually add 1/4 cup milk and stir to create a smooth paste. Repeat until all milk is combined.
3. Remove from heat. Add chèvre and peppers. Season to taste.
4. Transfer mixture to another container and refrigerate until completely cool.
5. Make a breading station with 1 cup flour, eggs and panko breadcrumbs in separate bowls.
6. Using hands, make golf-ball-sized portions of cooled chèvre mixture and form into cylinders.
7. Bread each portion. Coat with flour, then eggs and shake off excess. Roll in panko breadcrumbs. Allow to rest in refrigerator for 30 mins.
8. In a medium-sized pan over medium-high heat add enough oil to reach halfway up croquettes. Gently place croquettes in pan and shallow fry, turning until golden.
9. Rest croquettes on paper towel to absorb excess oil before serving.
Yield 5 servings