Chef Cameron Huley,
Four Points by Sheraton Winnipeg South
This petite-sized salad packs a wallop of crunch. Apple dressing hits a sweet note while chunks of bacon provide an addictive hint of saltiness.
1/2 cup chopped lardons (double-smoked bacon)
1 cup cooked and quartered brussel sprouts
1 cup crab apple wedges
1 tsp canola oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups apple juice
1 cup white wine vinegar
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 sprigs thyme
1. In a frying pan, cook lardons over medium heat until slightly crispy.
1. In a medium-sized pot, add all ingredients.
2. Reduce over medium heat for 20 mins until it has a light syrup consistency.
1. In a large mixing bowl, toss cooled brussel sprouts, lardons, apples and dressing with canola oil.
2. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Garnish with pecan pieces.
Yield 2 servings