Chef Michael Schafer,
Spiced cotton candy adds a unique flavour to this bold soup. While Chef Michael includes his own spice recipe, it can also be purchased at specialty food stores. He uses Canadian-made Woolwich goat cheese.
1 poblano chile
3 med beets, peeled and quartered
1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp white wine
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 oz Woolwich goat cheese
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 bag cotton candy
1. Heat oven to 150°F.
2. Seed and dice poblano chile. Place chile on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake for 4-5 hours.
3. Grind chile in a spice grinder. A washed coffee grinder may also be used. Reserve for garnish.
4. Adjust oven heat to 325°F.
5. In a large bowl, combine beets, sugar, wine and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Place beet mixture on a cookie sheet and bake until tender, approximately 35-40 min.
7. In a large saucepan over med-high heat, bring stock to a boil and add goat cheese and roasted beets.
8. With a food processor or hand-held blender, purée soup to a creamy texture. Salt and pepper to taste.
9. When plating, sprinkle a handful of cotton candy with spice. Place beside each soup bowl.
Yield 4 servings