Chef Steven Donnelly,
Four Points Sheraton
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp paprika
Salt & pepper, to taste
3 (4 oz) pieces smoked Atlantic salmon
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp crushed garlic
1 large red pepper, grilled, julienned
2 large portobello mushrooms, gills removed, sliced thick
1 cup fresh fennel, steamed and julienned
1 cup cooked wild rice
3 oz Pernod
1 cup vegetable stock
2 cups spicy tomato sauce
Sea salt & black pepper, to taste
4 (10 oz) portions linguine
*Note: You will need to use a smoker for this recipe. To make a smoker at home place a grate or rack over the top an old pot. Fill the pot with mesquite, hickory, maple or oak wood chips. Heat from underneath until smoke is seen.
1. Mix together oil, paprika, salt and pepper. Rub mixture over salmon.
2. Wrap salmon in foil and place on smoker grate.
3. Smoke for 6-8 minutes at lowest heat possible. Finish in 375° oven until fish is thoroughly cooked.
1. In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Add garlic, red peppers, mushrooms, fennel and wild rice, stirring constantly.
2. Add Pernod (*alcohol may cause flame), vegetable stock and tomato sauce. Add salt & pepper. Simmer.
1. Toss linguine with sauce. Divide among four plates and top each with one piece of smoked salmon.
Yield 4 servings