Owner/Baker Phingky Fuentes
Purchase powdered habanero pepper from Spice World for an authentic Mexican flavour kick.
1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp habanero powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2/3 cup flour
1/4 stick unsalted butter
1 cup of water
pinch of salt
2 tsp sugar
1. Combine dark chocolate, habanero pepper and cinnamon. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan, bring milk to boil.
3. Pour the milk over mixed ingredients. Stir to combine.
1. In a saucepan, bring water, sugar, salt and butter to a boil.
2. Remove from heat and stir in flour.
3. Place pan back on medium heat. Stir for 1-2 mins until the dough forms a smooth ball and pulls away from the sides of the pan.
4. Place dough in a bowl and mix on low with the paddle attachment for 1 minute.
5. Increase the speed to medium, and add the egg. Mix until fully incorporated.
6. Scoop the dough into a piping bag with a star tip.
7. Heat oil in a large frying pan.
8. Pipe dough directly into the oil and cut at the desired length. Fry for 2 minutes until golden.
9. Remove and place on paper towel to get rid of excess oil.
10. While still warm, roll in sugar and ground cinnamon.
Yield 24 churros